Making your own desk allows you to customize it to fit your lifestyle and your preferences. Just about anything can be turned into a desk with a little creativity and know-how, and desks are as varied as the jobs we work while sitting at them. Whether you want a lap desk, a standing desk or a standard office desk, you’ll find ideas and inspiration in these 15 how-to blogs.
As more and more jobs rely on nothing more than a laptop, people are no longer tied to their desks. In fact, many people use their laptops as their namesake says – on their laps. However, this practice can be problematic over time. Laptops can overheat when not allowed to vent properly, not to mention it can be uncomfortable to sit with a computer on your lap for an extended period of time. If you’re looking for a way to make a small lap desk for your laptop, look no further than these five blogs.
- DIY Laptop Desk/ How to Build a Lap Desk If you typically sit on the floor while working on your laptop, this desk will be a perfect fit.
- How to Make a Lap Desk Using the lid to a storage bin, this blogger has created a lap desk that she uses with her laptop.
- The Ultimate Lap Desk This simple idea can be cut out of wood, sanded and finished in a matter of hours.
- Who Wants to Make a Lap Desk? Follow the step-by-step directions on this blog to create your very own lap desk.
- Scribble ‘N’ Tote Lap Desk Tutorial These easy to follow instructions will help you make a lap desk for you or the kids.
Standing desks are becoming more popular, both in home offices and in the work place, because they allow you to burn more calories than sitting at a desk all day does. These five blog articles discuss the health benefits of using a standing desk, as well as explain how you can make your own version.
- DIY Stand Up Desk, Gua-Office Style! Your standing desk needs to be comfortable for you, so you’ll want to start by figuring out how tall your standing desk needs to be to fit your height.
- Make Your Own Multi-Level, Adjustable Height Standing Desk If you want to alternate between standing and sitting at your desk, this adjustable desk can offer the perfect solution.
- How to Make a Cheap Standing Desk This project is actually an addition to an existing desk, allowing you to stand part of the day and sit the rest of it.
- 15 Ideas to Buy or Build Your Perfect Standing Desk Whether you choose to use milk crates or filing cabinets, these standing desks are simple to create.
- My Standing Desk for $50 If you want to use your existing desk, consider using this jack idea to elevate your desk to the correct height.
Student or Office Desk
There are many uses for the traditional desk, and you can make your own desk by using found items or inexpensive ones. Something as simple as a door set on top of two file cabinets works well as a desk, and can be customized by using a vintage door or one you’ve painted or repurposed. For other ideas for making your own desk, take a look at these five blogs.
- DIY Desks from Vintage Doors By using vintage doors this blogger was able to simply attach some legs and cover it with a piece of glass and her desk was done.
- Brilliant DIY Desk Design for Home Office You’ll find several different desk options in this blog post.
- Before and After: Desk Make from an IKEA Bed Base Buying wood from the hardware store can be expensive, however by keeping your eyes on the clearance section you can find viable items to repurpose.
- The Floating Desk Workspace If you have a loft space or are into modern design, this might be the perfect desk for you.
- 19 DIY Pallet Desks—A Nice Way to Save Money and to Customize Your Home Office Many times you can find wooden pallets for free, making this desk an inexpensive option that needs just a few more items to complete it.